By Alene Tchekmedyian, firstname.lastname@example.org
7:42 PM PDT, October 26, 2012
A 19-year-old Burbank man on Friday pleaded not guilty to two counts of felony child abuse after his 5-week-old daughter was brought to a hospital with injuries that could result in her becoming comatose or paralyzed, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.
The man, Matthew Wojcik, was arrested Tuesday night after medical staff at Children's Hospital Los Angeles notified police that they were treating an infant in critical condition with multiple broken bones.
The police investigation, which included interviews with hospital officials, revealed the baby had suffered from ongoing abuse, said Burbank Sgt. Darin Ryburn.
Wojcik was arrested after police investigators interviewed hospital workers and the infant's mother.
According to a criminal complaint filed Friday in Los Angeles County Superior Court, the assault could result in the infant “becoming comatose due to brain injury” or permanently paralyzed.
The infant was last reported as being in critical but stable condition at the hospital. Officials did not say which bones were broken or how the injuries may have happened.
The investigation remained ongoing, Burbank Police Capt. Denis Cremins said Friday.
If convicted, Wojcik faces up to life in state prison, according to the criminal complaint.
Wojcik remained in custody in lieu of $1-million bail, which was raised earlier this week after initially being set at $100,000. He is due back in court on Nov. 14.